JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 13.02.2019, 20:54
Linkgrabbing Monster

Default MyJDownloader Browser Extension 3.2.32 causes all Firefox content processes to start.

Hi!

Using this on Firefox 56.
When I have the extension enabled content processes are started even for unloaded tabs on startup of the browser, which wastes memory and performance.
The same thing happens when I enable the extension when the browser is running.
Old 14.02.2019, 11:44
Guardian of the Droids

Thank you for your report! Can you write a short mail to support@jdownloader.org including a screenshot of the contents of the page "about:performance" (just type that into your address bar) after the unwanted behavior occurred?
Also include a list of your installed extensions or output of "about:support".

Please also include:
- What was the expected behavior
- What did actually happen
Old 23.02.2019, 00:06
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc View Post
Thank you for your report! Can you write a short mail to support@jdownloader.org including a screenshot of the contents of the page "about:performance" (just type that into your address bar) after the unwanted behavior occurred?
Also include a list of your installed extensions or output of "about:support".

Please also include:
- What was the expected behavior
- What did actually happen
That sounds like jumping through a lot of pointless hoops. Especially since I already described what's wrong with the behavior. Plus it would just provide a lot of useless noise.
I have dom.ipc.processCount;48 and plainly MyJDownloader Browser Extension does something it shouldn't**External links are only visible to Support Staff**(I think this is relevant) which causes content processes to be started for all unloaded tabs.
I had similar issues with other extensions before that were fixed with an update.
Old 25.02.2019, 20:01
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback and link. How can I unload a tab? Is it special extension or hotkey? or do you mean after restart of Firefox the *not yet visited* tabs?
Old 25.02.2019, 20:02
JD Manager

I've forwarded the link to the developer
Old 25.02.2019, 20:24
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Thanks for the feedback and link. How can I unload a tab? Is it special extension or hotkey? or do you mean after restart of Firefox the *not yet visited* tabs?
Well, typically you don't switch to them when you start the browser. Which requires for you to set it to remember the opened tabs on closing the browser.
Old 26.02.2019, 11:22
JD Manager

Thanks. I just wanted to know if you're using an extension to unload tabs or if you mean the unloaded/idle state after starting firefox
Old 26.02.2019, 11:53
JD Manager

I'm sorry but we cannot reproduce the issue. We've tested on 2 different firefox installations on two different systems. all tabs stay unloaded, verified via "about:performance". Even enable/disable/logout/login the extension during runtime doesn't wake up any unloaded tab.

Sounds like a Firefox 56 bug to me. Oldest supported Firefox ESR is 60.
Old 26.02.2019, 12:16
Guardian of the Droids

Quote:
Originally Posted by avada View Post
That sounds like jumping through a lot of pointless hoops. Especially since I already described what's wrong with the behavior. Plus it would just provide a lot of useless noise.
I have dom.ipc.processCount;48 and plainly MyJDownloader Browser Extension does something it shouldn't**External links are only visible to Support Staff**(I think this is relevant) which causes content processes to be started for all unloaded tabs.
I had similar issues with other extensions before that were fixed with an update.
I can't fix a bug that I am not able to reproduce. The info is needed to rebuild the environment in which the bug occurs. Sorry that it feels like jumping through pointless hoops. But keep in mind: On the other side we have to guess and waste time if there's a lack of information.

As a side note:
Is there a reason you are staying with the critically outdated Firefox 56? Why are you not updating to Firefox 60 (ESR) or 65?
Old 26.02.2019, 13:12
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Sounds like a Firefox 56 bug to me. Oldest supported Firefox ESR is 60.
Oh well... It was worth a try. Doesn't seem to happen on latest nightly for me either.

Quote:
As a side note:
Is there a reason you are staying with the critically outdated Firefox 56? Why are you not updating to Firefox 60 (ESR) or 65?
Because of addons of course. I see no point in upgrading to something vastly inferior because of this.

Quote:
I can't fix a bug that I am not able to reproduce. The info is needed to rebuild the environment in which the bug occurs. Sorry that it feels like jumping through pointless hoops.
Well, the things you suggested had little to do with the problem or were redundant.
It's reproducible without other addons on 56 by the way. Just tried it.
But if you don't support 56 it's of no relevance. Too bad that Jdownloader is dysfunctional without this addon.
Old 26.02.2019, 13:27
JD Manager

Why not simply use a more recent/up2date ff installation for JD? you can setup JDownloader to use a different ff installation/profile instead of default one.

It's not about *no relevance*. It's about spending/waisting time in checking/updating/keeping the extension compatible for an heavily outdated/unsupported/no longer maintained ff version. If we would have plenty of free/idle time, maybe we would work on this, but free/idle time is something that's not available at the moment.

Sooner or later you should think about upgrading to more recent ff version and maybe find a replacement for old/deprecated extensions.

Last edited by Jiaz; 26.02.2019 at 13:29.