JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 07.03.2019, 09:41
JD VIP

Default UX/Usability issues

Hi,

In the LinkGrabber tab there's a Views section on the right side which contains a list of currently active hosts (Hosters).

If you want to use just one of them you have to turn off all the others one by one.

One would think that the checkbox near the header (like Hosters) could be used to activate/deactivate all hosters at once, but instead it just hides/shows all of them, which doesn't seem to have any practical use.

jD tries to make selecting one (or just a few) hosters even harder by re-arranging hosters based on their active status (putting deactivated hosters at the end of the list, for example).

I would love to hear the rationale behind these design decisions and - if possible - change them to be more productive.

Thanks in advance,
M
Old 07.03.2019, 11:19
JD Manager

Multiple easy ways:
1.) disable/hide the host you want to keep, then clear/empty the remaining list and enable/show the host again -> list will only contain the wished host
2.) select all hosts in view with CTRL+A and deselect (with CTRL) the host you want to keep, then rightclick and delete -> list will only contain wished host
3.) select all hosts in view with CTRL+A, hit space to toggle all of them, then just enable the host you want to keep
4.) setup filter in Settings-Filter to filter out unwanted hosts and not have them in list

Please know that you the linkgrabber will still contain/collect the unselected hosts/filetypes and fill up the list. To avoid collecting them, setup a filter in Settings-Linkfilter

Last edited by Jiaz; 07.03.2019 at 11:24.
Old 07.03.2019, 11:20
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelcum View Post
One would think that the checkbox near the header (like Hosters) could be used to activate/deactivate all hosters at once, but instead it just hides/shows all of them, which doesn't seem to have any practical use.
Works fine here. Disabling the hoster checkbox will show up all hosts again and ignore the individual hoster filters. Enable the checkbox and the individual hoster filters will be used
Old 07.03.2019, 11:21
JD Manager

The filters in view allow multiple selection and you can rightclick and call actions only onl the current selection
Old 07.03.2019, 11:22
JD Manager

I'm sorry but I don't see any problem with the current way it is. Maybe I just didn't understand your use case correct. In that case please explain again
Old 07.03.2019, 11:24
JD Manager

Quote:
Select all and press space to toggle the selected filters. I guess that's what you were looking for
Old 08.03.2019, 07:06
JD VIP

Hi,

Let's call the hoster I wanna download hosterX.

1. Destructive.
I want to try to download the links using hosterX, but I wanna keep the rest of them in case some hosterX links fail.

2. Manual (and not user friendly)
If you have dozens of links, you have to deselect manually each and every hosterX links. You can do it, sure, but it's tedious and error-prone.

3. Not working
I tried it and it doesn't work at all - select everything (tried CTRL+A, CMD+A) and then pressing space does nothing, nothing changes. I'm on a Mac, btw.
Update
OK, I figured it out.
CTRL+A doesn't work in the Views on the right side by default, first need to select a hoster and then it works.
Althought it expands all packages for some reason unknown, and I don't think it's documented anywhere and it's not really intuitive...

4. I don't want to filter them out, see: 1.

Last edited by Maelcum; 08.03.2019 at 08:01.
Old 08.03.2019, 07:14
JD VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Works fine here. Disabling the hoster checkbox will show up all hosts again and ignore the individual hoster filters. Enable the checkbox and the individual hoster filters will be used
I don't see any valid use cases or productivity gain by hiding the hosters (when the checkbox turned off) but I might be overlooking something here...

I think it would be more practical if turning off the Hosters checkbox would turn off all hosters (instead of hiding them), and turning it on would turn on all hosters.That would make a lot easier to filter the hosters
- turn off all filters - one click
- turn on the hoster you want to use - one click
and you've got a ready to download list of links with the desired hoster. I don't think it could be any easier than this.

Cheers,
M
Old 08.03.2019, 12:09
JD Manager

Quote:
1. Destructive.
I want to try to download the links using hosterX, but I wanna keep the rest of them in case some hosterX links fail.

2. Manual (and not user friendly)
If you have dozens of links, you have to deselect manually each and every hosterX links. You can do it, sure, but it's tedious and error-prone.
You can also simply disable/lower the prioritoy of the other hosters/mirrors.

You also could for example give your *preferred* hoster the highest priority and left rest to default.

This can also be automated via Settings-Packagizer rules
Old 08.03.2019, 12:09
JD Manager

Quote:
3. Not working
I tried it and it doesn't work at all - select everything (tried CTRL+A, CMD+A) and then pressing space does nothing, nothing changes. I'm on a Mac, btw.
Update
OK, I figured it out.
CTRL+A doesn't work in the Views on the right side by default, first need to select a hoster and then it works.
Althought it expands all packages for some reason unknown, and I don't think it's documented anywhere and it's not really intuitive...
Yes, sorry. Forgot to tell that you have to select an entry first
Old 08.03.2019, 12:11
JD Manager

Quote:
I don't see any valid use cases or productivity gain by hiding the hosters (when the checkbox turned off) but I might be overlooking something here...
Simple answer, performance. Disabling the checkbox will disable all the filters in that section/category and JDownloader doesn't have to do house keeping like checking what filters would have matched and how often....
With your approach this would still be required.
Old 08.03.2019, 12:12
JD Manager

Maybe a second checkbox would be good idea? one to enable/disable the filter section/category. and another to enable/disable all filters.
Old 08.03.2019, 18:33
JD VIP

Hi Jiaz,

Thanks for the reply!

I wouldn't introduce another checkBox, instead I'd turn the Hosters block into a collapsable widget, so when it collapsed it wouldn't care about hoster filtering (like now, when the checkBox turned off) and when it expanded it would work like I've described above.

But if it's easier, adding an extra checkbox to control all hosters at once would be welcome too :-)

Thanks,
M
Old 08.03.2019, 18:50
JD Manager

I can't tell when I/we will find time for this modification. Yes, I agree, a collapse/expand would also be nice and better
Old 09.03.2019, 08:43
JD VIP

Cool, thank you, Jiaz!

Cheers,
M
Old 12.03.2019, 20:44
JD Manager

Better thank us once we've implemented those tickets