JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 16.02.2013, 12:21
sarvajanik

Exclamation Sudden drop in JD Speeds?

Hi there,

I've been a very happy user of jDownloader for a few months now. Kudos (& thanks) to the devs for creating such a useful software.

I truly enjoy a 100Mbps connection to my home, and unlike most ISP that promise and under-deliver this is what I get:

Now, I'm relatively a new user to jDownloader; when I started I loved that I was averaging at ~10MBps. But since the past 3 weeks or so, that has drastically dropped to ~2.5MBps.

Theoretically, on a 100Mbps line I should be maxing at around ~12MBps. But jDownloader seems to be unable to go over 2.5MBps now.

I'm using the nightly version - as the premium hosting provider I support needs that to work. And I'd love to share some more inside info/stats/logs with you devs (if you'll can tell me where & how to get it). I'm not that technical, so appreciate your help.

I've tried the usual stuff... re-installing jDownloader, re-installing Java. I'm on a Mac (OS X 10.8); and there's nothing I can think that I'm doing different from around a month back to trigger such a drop in jDownloader's performance.

Any help and/or advise is much appreciated.

Best
-SD
PS: I may not be all that technical, but my 'B's and 'b's above do relate correctly to Bytes and bits respectively. :-)
Old 17.02.2013, 10:10
English Supporter

Hi!

Nightly for only receives plugin updates (same as stable 0.9), so nothing has changed to the core workings of JDownloader for years. Plugin update should not affect download speeds. I assume your using nightly for multihoster support, btw JD2 has most of those plugins supported within that version now. The old multihoster support was via an extension and that only gets updates via core.

All I can say is if you once got those speeds you should be still able to obtain it now. Make sure chunk settings are round what you used previous. Along with any security programs that might have installed. Some security products slow downloads down as they scan sockets and also disk as it downloads. Java version shouldn't cause this problem, though I know Apple been removing java from os and/or os browser (safari) applet support to prevent abuse by known vulnerabilities. Make sure you have the latest java updates.

If you can't resolve try JD2

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 17.02.2013, 13:18
JD Adviser

When it comes to speed forget 'inside info' and go outside. Namely your browser. Start a dl in jd observe speed for a minute or two. Stop dl and then try to dl same file from same host in browser. If the browser is drastically faster, then waste time checking jd and java otherwise it's probably your isp or the hoster.
Speedtest is meaningless. Welcome to the world of bandwith management and deep packet inspection. If your dls are legally and ethically beyond question then feel free to pursue the matter with your isp otherwise they are giving you the advertised speed and they won't change their policies for you.

Last edited by zele; 17.02.2013 at 13:20.
Old 17.02.2013, 13:33
sarvajanik

Thanks for the replies guys.

Raztoki... I haven't changed anything. By 'chunk' settings you mean the 'Max. Connections per file' setting? I've tried 1, 2 4 & 10. Same results on all. I used to be on 10 when I was enjoying the 10+MBps speed - once upon a time. Sigh! And I'm using no 'security' product. Never found the need to (being on a Mac). Will try out JD2 (& update Java to v7) later this week.

Zele... Well, browser downloads are always slower for me than through JD. Are ISPs able to block (or rather throttle) HTTP downloads? I mainly download from Netload.in and Uploaded.to and have received speeds of over 10MBps before.

- Updated to JD2...
- Updated to Java 7...
- Used Onyx to clean out all caches...
- Ran integrity on HDDs (Std. OS X Disk Util.'s 'Verify/Repair Disk')... and ...

:outch: No go!!!

Downloads still averaging at ~2.2MBps. So; could my ISP be throttling my 'http' downloads? Is this something that can be bypassed (or rather released!) by using a proxy/VPN?

Albeit - I must admit... 2MBps ain't that bad. But I'm paying for more darn-it!

JD2 looks swell though! Very neat; and feels much more 'responsive'. Kudos!

Last edited by Lram32; 24.09.2013 at 15:42. Reason: merded posts.
Old 19.02.2013, 13:10
English Supporter

Assuming your are connecting with your real ip to the forum. Some of your fellow country men have had issues with filehosters in the past, either banning or rating limiting people from hong kong. Search google yourself site:board.jdownloader.org hong kong .

That said it might not be related. I would do some additional tests within JDownloader and say wget/curl (something light weight, with the same download connections). Grab a large file from a local web server, say from your ISP, and other websites within Hong Kong, and slowly migrate to different countries and see if downloads speeds drop. Even goto the trouble to replicate tests, try downloading from another computer on your network. If download speeds are roughly the same throughout the tests then it's not JD, Java, or your computer, but could be your network/internet or ISP. If results are not the same then you can isolate which problem program, but not necessarily the reason behind it. Replicating these tests (same downloads/files) on say a friends network/computer could give you more answers.

Download speeds dropping is a hard thing to isolate, so many unknown variables.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 19.02.2013, 23:56
JD Adviser

Throttling is easy. You pay for use not misuse. Already stated, if your dls are legal ask your isp to look at the issue. Speedtest proves that connectivity is ok. It offers multiple servers across the globe so you can check if a particular country is hard to reach. Ask the hoster if they have instituted speed limits. If it is isp vpn tunneling could help. If you solve the problem make sure you post the solution here.

Last edited by zele; 20.02.2013 at 00:02.
Old 20.02.2013, 23:40
SiJampang

try refresh all the premium account first, then reset the links you want to download then download it.
Old 24.09.2013, 10:28
avi0707

Im experiencing this same problem from 30 mb capped to under 900 kb /ps. Have you fixed it and how, please.
Old 05.04.2014, 02:03
sarvajanik

Over a year on... my jDownloader speeds have only been on the decline. I now get speeds of around 600kBps.

I ran the Glasnost tests to verify if my ISP is throttling in any way... turns out no. Which means it's something local that's screwing up.

Since my original post, I have done 2 complete wipe/installs on my system. But in vain.

I read that Apple started using something called 'packet scheduling' from 10.8 onwards. And am wondering if that has anything to do with this? Unfortunately, being a non-technical person, I have no clue what it is and how to turn it off. Any ideas?