JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 31.12.2017, 16:17
JerryL

Default Don't lose partially renamed text when temporarily switching window focus

Hi and Happy New Year!
This is longstanding issue which I hope you can address: When you rename a single file or package "in-place", have made changes to the name, but then temporarily switch focus away to another window without hitting enter, you lose all the changes you made to the name.

So I have to remember to always hit enter before switching focus away, even if I haven't completed the rename. The typical use case is that I am switching away to another window to copy portions of the new name from somewhere else to paste in. It's a recurrent issue for me because I like to include a lot of descriptive info in the names of files and packages to aid in file searching.

I don't think this the usual behavior with other applications. I'd much rather see my incomplete rename be applied then to lose everything I did and start over after switching focus.

Jerry
Old 16.01.2018, 10:34
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I don't think this the usual behavior with other applications.
It's the default behaviour for applications I've tested.
Filemanager on Windows/Linux cancel rename when focus is lost.
I don't know any application that stays in rename mode or applies partitial rename when focus is lost.

I can only offer an optional setting to enable the partitial rename on focus lost
Old 16.01.2018, 14:51
JerryL

An optional setting to apply the partial rename would be great, at least in the Linkgrabber.

And yes, I shouldn't really talk about the usual behavior of other applications, but only the applications that I use, and I would just remark that generally, any application that works with many files ought to have this capability. So for example, XYplorer does this and so does ACDSee Pro.
Old 16.01.2018, 17:16
JD Manager

Do you rename within the table/list or in link/package property window at the bottom?
Old 16.01.2018, 18:00
JerryL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post

Do you rename within the table/list or in link/package property window at the bottom?
Most often, I rename within the table/list row - what I refer to as "in-place editing" -- and that's when the problem arises. All other times, I select 2 or more files and do a multiple rename or move into a package and use the popup dialog to do the naming. With the popup, there isn't this problem, obviously, since the dialog doesn't go away when you change focus.

Note, that even for single files, I could just always select rename from the context menu and bring up the rename popup, but I find that more cumbersome than simply pressing F2 and entering the rename right away. A common problem I have with the popup is that I have to nearly always resize it horizontally so I can see the full name, which is usually long.

Thanks for addressing this issue.
Old 16.01.2018, 18:30
JD Manager

Thanks for the feedback
The popup is too small to show the full name? Can you provide screenshot? we can try to fix that as well
Old 16.01.2018, 18:46
JerryL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Thanks for the feedback
The popup is too small to show the full name? Can you provide screenshot? we can try to fix that as well
In the first attached screenshot, I want to rename abcdef.rar to something like
Code:
Bach - Motets; Schütz - Der Schwanengesang (from Opus Ultimum); Psalms 119, 100 (Hilliard Ensemble, Londen Baroque, Paul Hillier, Heinz Hennig)
In other words, I usually want to rename to something longer and more descriptive (to facilitate searching). It would be ok if I had to resize the dialog just once, and have the size be remembered. But it doesn't seem to remember it. For example, after I do the above rename with resizing, I then select the file and choose rename again from the context menu, and you see from the 2nd screenshot that the popup width is once again too small.
Attached Thumbnails
Example-RenamePopup-TooSmallHorizontally.jpg   Example-RenamePopup-TooSmallHorizontally-2.jpg  
Old 16.01.2018, 18:56
JD Manager

Thanks for the screenshot.
Old 16.04.2018, 16:22
JerryL

Any ETA for when these issues might be addressed?
Old 17.04.2018, 10:06
JD Manager

I'm sorry but I'm very busy at the moment and don't find free time to work on those tickets. I will check them as soon as I can