JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 13.06.2013, 02:06
Linkgrabbing Monster

Default switch tab behaviour, dangerous with broom stick cleanup

imagine the following scenario:

1) user adds several links to the linkgrabber

2) wants to download just one (or a few) file(s): right click / add to download list

3) wants to remove the remaining links: clicks the "broom" icon in the lower left corner

sadly, between 2) and 3) JD2 has switched to the download window. if the user does not recognize this, maybe because linkgrabber and download list look similar on a short glimpse, he/she deletes the whole "main" download list, especially when the "are you sure" dialog has been disabled.

happened to me once.

better not switch automatically to the download window.
Old 13.06.2013, 02:12
Community Manager

You re the first user who reported this...

GreeZ psp

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 13.06.2013, 08:23
JD Legend

Maybe I am wrong, I think
"LinkgrabberSettings.autoswitchtodownloadtableonconfirmdefaultenabled"
setting does it,
"If true, JD will switch to the Download Tab after confirming Links in Linkgrabber"

It works well, If I disable it, JD2 doesn't switch tabs at download start.

Default is true, and I set this value, but it caused problem for me too, really must pay attention.

I propose to change the "confirm" word to "start download" in the setting name and help, and in the linkgrabber quick option "Auto confirm", because the action name is "Start downloads" in menu/button - this way it would be better understandable.

This setting is very static in the advanced settings, very hard to change it dynamically, according to immediate needs.

It would be better to be able to say explicitly, what is needed, with the help of

-a new "start downloads without tabswith" menu item, or
-a new quick setting option "disable tabswitch" above the "start downloads" button.
Old 13.06.2013, 08:55
Community Manager

What do other users think of that?

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 13.06.2013, 11:18
English Supporter

I have tab switched disabled, just waiting for the add links to linkgrabber by clicking start to be removed by option and then I'm set. I always use keyboard to context menu to add links to download tab.

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 13.06.2013, 13:29
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by raztoki View Post
by clicking start to be removed by option and then I'm set.
Sorry, I don't understand this, please explain in detail.

Quote:
I always use keyboard to context menu to add links to download tab.
It's great, but I don't see shortcuts in context menu, and can't find how to add that in menu manager. I only see F2 at Properties -- Rename or the same in More Actions.

Another thing, that I can't find Look and Feel - this contained the for menu manager button anf others.

Edit:
OK, it's now "User Interface"

Last edited by bici-boci; 13.06.2013 at 14:21.
Old 13.06.2013, 15:45
danutz

Why does the broom icon operate on the ENTIRE LIST and not on the selected links? Surely if someone wants to delete all links they can express that intention by selecting all links BEFORE pressing the icon. It's good to align the required actions with the user's thought process.
Old 13.06.2013, 15:56
JD Legend

I like how it works now: operate on the ENTIRE LIST.
When I want to delete selectively, I select the appropriate lines and press the Del key or use the context menu. Naturally I can use Ctrl-A to select all lines to delete with the Del key, but sometimes Ctrl-A doesn't work, only if I at first select any line.
Old 13.06.2013, 16:04
danutz

OK, your call. I think it's a dangerous option and that confirm dialogs don't work, because users become conditioned to press "OK". This is a known problem in UI design. Simply adding a "confirm" dialog (or a "-i" switch to command-line utilities) doesn't really help that much due to user conditioning and the indiscriminate nature of the dialogs.

I've also encountered the ^-A not working problem. And often other keyboard shortcuts that don't work. Maybe there should a "Select" or "Edit" menu.

As to your original request, since pspz asked for comments, I don't think switching to the Download view should be eliminated due to your scenario.

Last edited by danutz; 13.06.2013 at 16:09.
Old 13.06.2013, 16:23
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by danutz View Post
As to your original request, since pspz asked for comments, I don't think switching to the Download view should be eliminated due to your scenario.
Please set "LinkgrabberSettings.autoswitchtodownloadtableonconfirmdefaultenabled" to Disabled. If you copy a link and start download, there is no tabswitch.

The same is true when you add a link with Flashgot and start the download automatically, JD2 remains in linkgrabber, if was there previously.

It works for me this way.
Old 13.06.2013, 16:26
Spanish Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danutz View Post
I've also encountered the ^-A not working problem. And often other keyboard shortcuts that don't work. Maybe there should a "Select" or "Edit" menu.
The problem is known.
http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/8470

Installer for Windows XP/Vista/Seven/Eight
|| JD2 x86 - x64 (Beta) ||

Installer for Mac
|| JD2 (Beta) ||

Installers for Linux
|| JD2 (Beta) x86 || <---> || JD2 (Beta) x64 ||

How to Create a Log
-» Click Here «-

¿Cómo crear un registro?
-» Click Aquí «-

Support Chat / Chat de Soporte
-» Click Here / Click Aquí «-

Old 13.06.2013, 17:07
ReXTaR

lol... i think its only settings for user... in addition, its a normal behavior in JD, if i add links i want to see if download start... if links dont work or are broken, im go to search for other....
broom button works fine now? I've never used this button...
Old 13.06.2013, 17:35
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReXTaR View Post
in addition, its a normal behavior in JD
JD doesn't say or define what is "normal" - there is two possible mode, it's only default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReXTaR View Post
if i add links i want to see if download start... if links dont work or are broken, im go to search for other....
I usually does the same. But there are special cases, for example I examine and start or don't start links, one by one, and only then look at the downloads.
Old 17.06.2013, 17:21
Linkgrabbing Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bici-boci View Post
Maybe I am wrong, I think
"LinkgrabberSettings.autoswitchtodownloadtableonconfirmdefaultenabled"
setting does it,
"If true, JD will switch to the Download Tab after confirming Links in Linkgrabber"
thanks, that will do the trick I guess.
Old 17.06.2013, 18:06
English Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bici-boci View Post
Sorry, I don't understand this, please explain in detail.
Quote:
I have tab switched disabled, just waiting for the add links to linkgrabber by clicking start to be removed by option and then I'm set. I always use keyboard to context menu to add links to download tab.
your quote doesn't have context...
'just waiting for the add links to linkgrabber by clicking start to be removed by option and then I'm set'

and it now is by
GraphicalUserInterfaceSettings.startbuttonactioninlinkgrabbercontext

this disables the add link functions in linkgrabber by clicking start.. I have always disliked linkgrabbers default behaviour, specially when you have no selections and you click 'start' thinking it starts the download process ( have auto start disabled ), it goes and adds the entire linkgrabber queue = epic fail.

thread closed, OP concerns addressed by changing advanced settings.

Last edited by raztoki; 17.06.2013 at 18:11.
Old 18.06.2013, 04:08
wahooo

Default UI issue - switch tab behaviour, dangerous with broom stick cleanup

http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=48860

Addressed in that thread, the mod said there's no one else complaining about it, but well, no one can if you lock the thread;)

Basically its a UI issue, the delete "broom" button is duplicated on both tabs in a way that its very easy to accidentally have a problem. Sure you can say be more careful, but generally good UI design should be to take more load off the user and prevent any accidents right? Maybe for the main tab download tab the broom should be moved to a different area of the window so no accidents can happen? Just a suggestion.

Thanks.
Old 18.06.2013, 06:27
English Supporter

broom stick prompts you if you want to remove, read the prompts then you wont have issues. Disable switching tabs on adding links if you have issues, as already discussed. These are all changes you need to address on your side. We are aware of your opinion on the matter there is no need for more threads.

Old 18.06.2013, 22:10
wahooo

Quote:
broom stick prompts you if you want to remove, read the prompts then you wont have issues. Disable switching tabs on adding links if you have issues, as already discussed. These are all changes you need to address on your side. We are aware of your opinion on the matter there is no need for more threads.
Well that's not how design should work, sometimes you have to account for human stupidity... even if someone is tired it can make for a bad mistake. A simple change to a different location can prevent mistakes. We are human, not machines;)

I was watching terror in the skys on tv yesterday too, even in cockpits ui design is very important, many times they just assume the pilot could just read this or that but actually they are overloaded and become "blind" to an area, and it leads to disaster, its not exactly the same obviously but it just helps show that the human brain isn't a computer. Most people are multitasking while using this program, so mistakes can happen.

Jd is a background program, its not a spreadsheet or whatever where people fixate on the details, it should require as little attention as possible.

Last edited by wahooo; 18.06.2013 at 22:14.
Old 19.06.2013, 00:54
English Supporter

Moving the cleanup button order, I don't believe will happen, its in the same location to make finding it an ease. If you are smart enough you will learn from past 'mistakes' and wont make the same again. As you are now fully aware that you can disable the switching tabs on adding links && that the boomstick cleanup has dialog prompt warning prior to removing links it's totally your issue if you continue to make the same pattern of errors.

Old 19.06.2013, 11:46
JD Legend

raztoki,

You are true, but this is really dangerous.

The menu, right to the broom, is different for Download list and Linkgrabber, so it would be probably possible to use different colors for the broom icon, for example "red" for downloadlist, or different icons for those who can not see the colors. In addition it would practical to use different mousover texts - instead of "clear the list", for example "clear the DOWNLOAD list" and "clear the LINKGARBBER list".
Old 20.06.2013, 06:46
wahooo

Quote:
Moving the cleanup button order, I don't believe will happen, its in the same location to make finding it an ease. If you are smart enough you will learn from past 'mistakes' and wont make the same again. As you are now fully aware that you can disable the switching tabs on adding links && that the boomstick cleanup has dialog prompt warning prior to removing links it's totally your issue if you continue to make the same pattern of errors.
The problem is that its not that hard to find, its more likely you'll mistake one page for the other. A destructive feature should take a second more to find perhaps, which is a good thing.

I don't make a pattern of errors, I'm just saying that I just see how its possible for someone(esp end users) to screw up. People aren't computers. Ever drive somewhere and not remember the last few blocks you've driven? That's the human brain for ya. As a helper tool, jdownloader should require the least attention from the user you can possibly design into it, its job is to basically take the load off the user right?

Whether its cockpits or even cars, they design against potentials for mistakes. Learned over years of examining accidents and crashes and the rest, when people are loaded with tasks, every last thing does matter. While the stakes are different, people usually run jdownloadr while doing other things, everyone multitasks now, so the potential for mistakes increases.

Just weigh the pros and cons.

To learn a different location for the cleanup button on the download page, takes one time. To have it moved to another location where it can never be mistaken for the link grabber cleanup, saves stress on the user each and every time its used.

Mobile to the Future
.GoogleTechTalks GoogleTechTalks
**External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff**

Semi related, UI changes/design just have to account for human behavior. And he explains how some of it applies to getting things to work on mobile...you can always design things to reduce possible errors and frustration. Many of the things that require changes to make things more usable don't "dumb things down", the old ways were not better because they were harder, they were just harder and more stress on the end user because they weren't as well thought out...or just not considered.

Last edited by wahooo; 20.06.2013 at 07:04.
Old 20.06.2013, 17:25
ReXTaR

I think that there should be some kind of asistonto ... I mean assistant ...

lately the complaints are the same, we like how it looks or where they are, or any type of modification that can be customizable .... from the location, as shown, or if it is easier or harder to access some option ...

so therefore a setup wizard, maybe can help keep everyone happy ...