JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 08.07.2011, 06:36
dc366

Default Where are my links gone?

I just updated Java on my computer. I opened Jdownloader and all the links that were in queue at the Download tab have disappeared.
How do I get them back?
Please help.

Last edited by Jiaz; 08.07.2011 at 07:24.
Old 08.07.2011, 07:24
JD Manager

I'm sorry but there is no way
http://board.jdownloader.org/announcement.php?f=13
Old 08.07.2011, 09:17
remi

@dc366

If you want your links back, un-install JRE 1.6 update 26 and re-install an earlier update, like 17 or 21. See "**External links are only visible to Support Staff**.

Then extract your most recent backup (in jD's backup foilder) over jD's config folder if your link list is still empty.
Old 08.07.2011, 09:31
BugMeNot Account

Maybe I have a solution for this issue: using jdownloader portable version which was upgraded over the time from really old versions with the program's update check.

Running on winxp sp3, all patches installed, I use jre u26 (jre-6u26-windows-i586-s.exe) and I DID NOT lose any links from the database.

What seems to work? Well, I do not usually use the jre self-upgrade / update procedure since I learned over time that using that might break some things so what I usually do is: I uninstall the previous installed jre plugin version from add/remove programs and afterwards I do a fresh jre plugin install.

Maybe somebody can confirm that doing this avoids the loss of the links database with JDownloader.

My JDownloader: v -last09 0.9.581

Cheers and good luck.
Old 08.07.2011, 09:39
JD Manager

you just had luck. dont know how you did it, but java update 25-26 will crash your config. i could not find a way to avoid this.
maybe your portable jd uses an older java?
Old 08.07.2011, 18:27
BugMeNot Account

Maybe you're right and it's just luck.

The jre is the system one (just as jd - I just didn't use an installer but the zipped jd version) and I used both 25 and 26 jres with no problems.

Indeed I normally launch it with JDownloaderD3D.exe (v 4 launcher) since otherwise I get screwed window issues but even with the normal launcher (that one is used by default after a jd upgrade) it works ok.

I guess it one of those YMMV things.

Cheers.
Old 08.07.2011, 23:07
user12345

Same here..I do a full uninstall/restart the system and then re-install java instead of using the auto-update or update overwrite. Although I just goto java.com and use the site to re-install the java.

I do not have jd portable I have the full install version (atleast i am pretty sure i do.). I also went through java 25-26 (currently have 26 as the only installed java version.) and I did not lose any of my links. I launch the program using normal jdownloader.exe.

edit: n/m found my answer on another thread. idk I guess some of us are getting lucky with the update.

edit2: Ok I am re-inserting two of my questions based on a quote of yours jiaz from another thread. (paraphrasing: finish all downloads and clear list before updating java.) Is there a reason why backing up your links and then just adding them back after the update is not recommended? Is the disappearing list a one time thing or could it happen at any moment from now on?

(ie for either scenario if you kept your links through the update or cleared them out then updated or even used a backup to add them after the update. Is there a chance this bug could affect us down the line or is it something that if it was going to happen it would have happened the first time you ran jd after updating to java 26?)

Last edited by user12345; 08.07.2011 at 23:39.
Old 09.07.2011, 10:11
remi

Cool

It seems that the database format written by JRE versions before update 26 is different from that of update 26.

Once you're working with update 26 the database can be read without any further problems, because it has been written by update 26.

Note that you can't use the backups neither because they contain the same database format. The only way to transfer links to update 26 is using the File -> Save -> Save Linklist feature.
Old 09.07.2011, 22:46
user12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
Once you're working with update 26 the database can be read without any further problems, because it has been written by update 26.
That is a technical sounding answer but I take it to mean since I am on java 26 with a working list of links I am going to be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
The only way to transfer links to update 26 is using the File -> Save -> Save Linklist feature.
I did that and I made a dlc container with all my links in it just to be safe. (I did both of these actions because I read your response in another thread so thanks for that. ) Unfortunately I had already installed and used java 26 but again this sounds like good news.

Your original response in that thread recommending the save linklist is why I was curious that jiaz advises people to finish all of their links before updating. As if there is some flaw to importing the list from a save linklist after updating to java 26.

Either way thanks for the response and tips remi it is appreciated.
Old 10.07.2011, 07:12
bamfan5520

I actually had no problems when I updated to update 26....My list never disappeared and has been running fine even after the update...Some people have this problem but I havent come into any problems in this area...So for me, Java 6 Update 26 took just fine with no problem of my download list disappearing...Figure I would inform everyone that this is only happening with some people, NOT EVERYONE
Old 10.07.2011, 08:29
JD Manager

The reason for linklist loss is
we serialize the linklist which has an Icon for customized icons in its structure.
this Icon changed with update 26 so deserializiation from saved database <26 will break with update 26 and kill your downloadlist. from this time on it is no longer possibe to save/load linklist.

in order to workaround this. finish all links and clean up your list (it must not contain any link) with <26, then upgrade to 26, then you can continue to use jd.

i could reproduce this error every time on all my testmachines and because i also received a lot bugreports for this we thoight it is better to inform EVERYONE just to be safe.

because of the internal java change it is not possible to restore backups or export/import.
Old 10.07.2011, 08:57
JD Beta

I mentioned this in another thread too.

I didnt know about the JRE issue.

I updated my JRE. I always do this manually by downloading it and installing the new version. I disable JRE auto-update.

I also update JRE after closing all running applications and restart the computer (Vista).

I did not loose my links (and there were nearly 100 links in my list). As I said, I didnt even know about the JRE issue until I read it on a pop up warning when I upgraded JD.

:)
Old 10.07.2011, 17:03
cliche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
i could reproduce this error every time on all my testmachines and because i also received a lot bugreports for this we thoight it is better to inform EVERYONE just to be safe.

because of the internal java change it is not possible to restore backups or export/import.
Thanks for the warning- I have LOTS links (hundreds) and I could not afford to lose them. Will finish downloads and upgrade later