JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 20.03.2015, 16:44
Mega Loader

Default Why are settings in bytes and ms?

Programers may think in these minute increments but the average user more easily comprehends seconds and MBs. Many times I have tried typing in a number in the advanced settings that is in range and it just keeps going back to the previous setting. I was having to hold down the arrows for an unbelievably long time just to make the tiniest of changes. I finally figured out that I could highlight one digit at a time and replace it with a 9 and then click the up arrow to make a larger change.

Just one instance:
Your default for timeout when a link was offline used to be 10 minutes and I don't think there was any way to change it. The timeout now is so short that if you had 2 or 3 offline links you would get a continuous loop of retries and it would not go on to start any good links. Couldn't that setting just be in minutes? It is really so basic that it should be in the general settings. I finally got it changed to 5 minutes and fixed the problem of getting stuck on cycling the dead links. It's nice that you can set a preference for this but it shouldn't be so complicated to do it.
Old 20.03.2015, 16:53
Community Manager

You should be able to type in values as well.
Also, I don't think that this setting is basic.
Whenever files are clearly offline, JD should show this.
However, if a connection continuously times out, loops might happen but in case you re not using direct links but "normal" host links e.g. zippyshare.com/xxx we can change the behavior in the affected plugins
Please proide more information and testlinks.

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 20.03.2015, 18:01
English Supporter

just remember when typing into advanced fields over using arrows, they usually require that you press enter to save.

and like psp indicated most the time values are actually set within plugin code and nothing todo with defaults.

raztoki

Don't fight the system, use it to your advantage. :]
Old 20.03.2015, 18:09
Mega Loader

EDIT: I guess you put in your reply while I was still typing mine.

I figured out why I had problems typing in a number. You have to hit enter after you do. Enter is not necessary if you use the arrows.

If you don't want to give easy access to this setting at least make the default a little longer. As I said, it used to be 10 minutes. It can take more than 15 seconds for a link to time out and by that time previous dead link has already counted down. At least 60 seconds would probably be enough to avoid the loop and then you don't need to change any plugins.

The small increments still do not seem necessary. What setting could be so sensitive that I would want to change by only a few bytes or thousandths of a second? I know how to count off the digit places but there are some users who would not. Everyone understands MBs and seconds.

Last edited by Oldgeezer; 20.03.2015 at 18:12.
Old 20.03.2015, 18:17
JD Manager

@PSP: increase default timeabout which oldgeezer is talking about. seems to make sense

Where to have that small units?
-ms: timeouts, loop pauses (1 sec is often too much, eg extraction), yes we could change many to secs, but on the other hand we would have to change many code to use secs* 1000 because internal its all ms units
-bytes: buffers, speed limits (imaginge having a dial up with 8 kbyte/s, then fine tuning is nice to have). also..internal its all bytes..you cannot allocate 8 kbyte, you always have to tell absolute numbers in bytes

yes you are right they are not *user friendly*, but "normal users" should not have to go to advanced settings at all/ or often. We can think about this once we have more time, but until then its okay as it is.

please don't take this too personally, ofcourse we try to make it more "user friendly" but we are a small team and many many stuff/tickets/bugs ahead
Old 20.03.2015, 18:36
Mega Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
@PSP:

please don't take this too personally, of course we try to make it more "user friendly" but we are a small team and many many stuff/tickets/bugs ahead
I'm not taking anything personal. I am just trying to give feedback as an average user. Average by definition would mean that there are many that know a lot more than me and many that know a lot less. If a problem is making me want to pull my hair out, just think of where that would leave a newbie or a novice. I have a friend that took me a long time to teach how to use JD 1 and I'm REALLY not looking forward to teaching Fred about JD 2!!