JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 01.05.2009, 09:15
drunkyduck

Default Automatic rename of the file after download.

Is it possible to make an option when that pop up window show up, after you paste the link or load container file, to have a field where you would put what name of the file you want to see when download finish. So, when JD finish downloading, it automaticly rename the file as you wished before starting the download? It's like FleshGet has after you click 'new' and in the pop-up window you have a field called 'Rename'. Is it possible to meke that?

thx

Last edited by Jiaz; 05.09.2011 at 11:53.
Old 01.05.2009, 12:54
JD Manager

can you describe me what it is for?
Old 01.05.2009, 17:27
drunkyduck

Well, just imagine that you got huge list of files loaded for downloading into JDownloader. And some files are like: "JD.rar". After you download lot of files, you don't know what is inside JD.rar archive. You try to open it but it is protected by password, which you don't remember. Then you need something to find what is the password. So, if you back-up the password by saving original page where you found it, you have to go thru all those pages you saved to find correct password. But if you can rename the 'JD.rar' into 'JDownloader.rar', well it is obvious to you what is inside and you can find it.
(I don't save lot's of pages separatly, but I do that by using ScrapBook addon for Firefox. Also most of the times, I rename the file in that way so that the pass is the part of the file name. That's how I always know what 'key' open the 'box'. (I use FlashGet for downloading). Strange that JDownloader doesn't have such small but valuable option already in it.
That's why I need Rename option, but maybe someone need it for some other reason. I think it is not too much to ask for it?

thx!
Old 01.05.2009, 17:35
JD Manager

why not let jd extract it (it will find pw itself)
or use the comment field in filepackage to add extra information
or use the right click oben in browser to see where the file came from
Old 01.05.2009, 17:55
drunkyduck

Looks like this tiny option is harder to get that was was thinking.

Imagine you are looking for something over lot of boards. So when you find part of that, you move that part in ScrapBook. Then continue searching on other boards. There, you find some new 'missing' parts of something (don't force me to tell you 'some chick scenes).
After you finish searching you open what you found from your scrapbook, and then start loading into JD. I know that I could let JD automaticly extract the files if I give him the password when I am adding the files, BUT...I already did that in past and I got one problem...or 2.
First is that while I was sleeping JD downloaded lot of files and then he started to extract them. Well, my hard drive space was filled and it made my pc stuck.

2nd problem is that when you runnig some memmory or proccessor conserving application, and suddenly JD finish download while automaticly start extracting the archives, well let just say he slow down my entire machine and I can't use already running application (program or game) in a way I was using it before JD started the extraction. It's because hard drive is already occupied by doing something else. Don't want to manion if JD finish downloading and start extracting while you are installing the game. I hope that's at least enough reason for the rename option? (I mean, that's my reason, but someone might have his own).
Old 03.05.2009, 17:21
Doble-C

Drunkyduck you have the option to do that you create subdirectories automatically named after the package names.

In Beta version v0.5 it does not work. :(

Last edited by Doble-C; 04.05.2009 at 04:15.
Old 03.05.2009, 17:29
drunkyduck

Doble-C, yes I know that. But why package name can't be used as a new file name (after download of that file is finished)? Why do I need 100s of extra directories just beause of renaming thing?
I am sorry if I am asking something that is impossible to do in JAVA. I am not a programmer, so if the JAVA can't allow you to rename the file (but IMO that's very simple task compared to what JD written in java already doing), I hope JD progrmmers will forgive me for requesting this.
Old 03.05.2009, 17:48
JD Manager

it is possible, but how would you manage that?
also there are many more ways to organize things! eg use infofilewriter to let write the password or the comment
it simply does make no sense to rename every file on your own just to have any kind of information! i think so because there is all you need in jd (comment field, autoextraction, infofilewriter and so)

packagename is not possible to take for renaming because most times more than 1 files are in package
Old 03.05.2009, 18:26
drunkyduck

So it is possible, that we agree, right? And how, well I don't know since I am not a programmer.
But here, I tried with FlashGet and with Orbit. Both of them can do that, and probabbly a lot other download managers.

FlashGet - before

FlashGet - after

Orbit - before

Orbit - after

As for your commnent about me renaming every single file, well, you asked me why I need that, and I told you why I need it most of the time. That doesn't mean I rename every file I download. Just those that does not make any sence, and when I am looking at 100s of rar archives which have a names that does not make any sence, and I don't know what it is (but they do ask for...for instance password), well I can't find because I have no clue what is inside the rar archive which would help me to know where to look for pass. I explained why I can't use password extractor, thou I really think that is a great possibility that JD have.
Imagine files like:
Pamela_Anderson.rar
With that filename you know what is it about. So you know where to look for pass.

Now look those filenames:
BD.rar
SDX23R.rar
AASYCS.rar

Tell me, do you have a clue what is inside? Imagine 100s of files like that, that you decide after month or two to get in some order that download folder of yours. It's a mess, and there is no way you can find pass of the archives with such nonsense names.
That's why I need 'rename' option to make that file have some sense when I look at it.

:)

(I didn't knew this 'request' would take this much explanation)

Last edited by drunkyduck; 03.05.2009 at 18:28.
Old 03.05.2009, 19:04
JD Manager

would it be okay to have a option to set a *final*filename? so it will downloat the file with the given filename?
i can add support for it before download but renaming it afterwards is much complexer
Old 03.05.2009, 19:11
drunkyduck

If we both thinking about the same thing, then yes, that should do it.
JDownloader MUST know complete correct link to that file, but if you can add the option to put under which name that file would be downloaded on my hard drive, then that's it.
Old 21.05.2009, 00:15
drunkyduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
would it be okay to have a option to set a *final*filename? so it will downloat the file with the given filename?
i can add support for it before download but renaming it afterwards is much complexer
I am wondering if that option is going to be implemented 'cause I don't see it in new beta version (0.5.572)?
Old 26.06.2009, 04:56
Dennnis

Thumbs up It will be a useful function...

drunkyduck, I agree with you.

This option will be useful when you get a file with a strange name, like "setup.msi" (link example: **External links are only visible to Support Staff****External links are only visible to Support Staff** ). But, if you rename the file to "AbraCadabra_setup.msi" you can remember for what you download that... I don't kown... But, this function is interesting...

So, putting in another words. It will need a new field to describe the "new file name", to use to rename the file when the download finish..

A simple example:

:)

PS: I don't what this setup.msi contains... so don't download it. I use just to exemplify...
Old 28.06.2009, 16:29
JD Legend

Thumbs up

That feature would be really helpful.
Old 01.07.2009, 11:43
remi

Cool

This is a very useful feature and it's one of the many reasons I'm still using Free Download Manager.

I use FDM for most of my podcasts. I rename my podcasts systematically, according to my own file naming scheme. This is not possible with jD...
Old 04.07.2009, 18:29
JD Manager

added to bugtracker
Old 04.08.2009, 18:29
pajarraco

Other good reason is that many times the file's name are wrong typed... so JD put them in a new package and later we'll have problems with merge and decompression.

It would be great that, after renaming, JD check again this files in order to move them automatically to the proper package.

I hope you understand me ... I explain it better in the spanish forum:

http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=5528
Old 05.08.2009, 18:57
Community Manager

@pajarraco
I think this would bee too much.
I agree with renaming but i don't like the "check after renaming"-option because JD is a downloadmanager, no magic tool to do everything!

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 30.09.2009, 21:16
BugMeNot Account

Just wondering how this new feature is coming? I've been hoping for this feature for a looong time now and am excited to see that it may finally be getting some attention!
Old 30.09.2009, 21:24
drunkyduck

buggsy, I am wondering the same, but I must admit that it was long time ago when I requested this feature, and since I don't see it implemented yet, I kinda gave up.

I hope that someone from dev team will put some good news about this feature?
Old 30.09.2009, 22:12
JD Manager

its on todolist but no high priority, so you still have to wait
Old 01.10.2009, 13:37
remi

Cool

Is this feature in your private to do list or is it in the 'bugtracker'? I don't seem to be able to find it among the features.

I can only find Feature #177 ; Autorenaming of existing files (http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/177) but that doesn't allow me to rename my files manually.

Last edited by remi; 01.10.2009 at 13:39.
Old 01.10.2009, 15:46
JD Manager

on an *offline* todolist
Old 02.10.2009, 15:00
remi

Cool

As you probably know already I'm a very very curious person I didn't know you would have some surprises in the pipeline...
Old 04.10.2009, 02:48
ThekillingGoku

Well, I must agree with drunkyduck here though.
This is pretty much a basic feature, but an awfully important one to any dl manager since alot of people's naming sense is just awful.
Files uploaded to file-sharing sites (which JD targets) are the worst of all in this sense as people seem to try their best all the time to put up files with the worst possible file names.

Downloading the whole list, renaming the package, having it extracted to subfolders named after the package is one way of doing things, but such a major drag because that also means you have to go through each and every one of those folders to put the files in the folder underneath, wasting another bunch of time.
Not to mention that many people also put a folder in their archives, which tends to be as badly named as the archive file itself, meaning that in that case I'd also have to go through each created subdirectory, go into another one and cut/paste the files in the root subdirectory and delete the uselessly badly named directory that was extracted, then move these folders to the proper folder they need to be stored (since you're pretty much forced to create an empty folder for these sorts of practices. Otherwise if this mess would be done in a real folder housing 1000 more folders, it'd be impossible to keep track of).
If I don't extract files using JD and use WinRAR for extracting these files it's no problem since it has a setting to not extract folder paths from archives (just get the files) and extract to folders using the file names.

Basically if the files are simply saved with the correct name, there's only the work of having to fill in the proper filename in a text input field.
Not to mention, who says the downloaded files even need to be extracted or can be extracted for that matter.

The comments system would cause an even more annoying job, namely to put the proper filename there and after the whole list is finished I'd have to go through each downloaded file, look it up in the dl list and copy/paste the comment as the file name.

As you can see, the feature really is a usefull one.

Last edited by ThekillingGoku; 04.10.2009 at 03:00.
Old 05.10.2009, 14:42
remi

Cool

Nothing to add. Brilliant post!
Old 26.10.2009, 09:25
savros

Automatic renaming of extracted files would be extremely useful as a feature for JD Unrar.

Many times the archive filename and files inside are randomized by uploader to protect the link. For example, a movie will be split into parts with name like "backup.part1.rar"

Or a downloader may just prefer to name their files differently than the uploader.

It saves time instead of having to search through packages and manually copy package filename.
Old 26.10.2009, 15:26
remi

Cool

See Feature #177 : Autorenaming of existing files
Old 26.10.2009, 16:18
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by savros View Post
Many times the archive filename and files inside are randomized by uploader to protect the link. For example, a movie will be split into parts with name like "backup.part1.rar"
where is the problem? jd will deepextract that too
Old 27.10.2009, 15:32
remi

Cool

Savros wants to say that he simply wants to give a meaningful name to the files, because the file names have been 'scrambled' by the uploader.
Old 02.11.2009, 18:22
RafaelGM

Smile Option for File Rename

Hi! I'm new here! (english is not my native language)x)

I would like to wish a Rename Option too!:rolleyes:

I did two image previews:

Also I would like to ask, if possible, to make this rename option work before the download begin, during the download, and after the download done.:thumbup:

Thanks in advance!
Old 15.05.2010, 11:52
Jimmy_Smith

I agree with guys, this is extremely usefull feature. Because many files on internet are named badly, wrong, or different from your needs. Yes, I can change name of package, and in .info find later name of package and rename files manually.

Example: for XBMC i need fileformat EPISODENAME.S05.E15. I found links, but of course, filenames are different. When I add links, I type EPISODENAME.S05.E15 to package name (for recognizing what i downloaded before).

After downloading, I must rename all those files..its quite irritating: When I type password, package name, etc. before downloading, why not simple string to optional rename after downloading? I mean, jDown has a GREAT and much more complicated feature - Rar unpacking.. Simple renaming could not be so hard..

I will hope for implementing this ... Any progress on wishes list?

Last edited by Jimmy_Smith; 15.05.2010 at 11:54.
Old 15.05.2010, 12:14
remi

You're right. It looks simple and the other download manager that I regularly use, FDM, has it. I use it primarily for that feature.

This feature has been overlooked from the beginning of jD's design. It has been asked for ages, but it probably requires a major overhaul of the code.
Old 15.05.2010, 19:32
eMeR Manix

Cool Yes! I also voting for this feature

I'll very appreciate this feature, but it looks for me useable only for not-compressed files.
But this is only my point of view...

Any news however?
Old 29.05.2010, 13:07
crazyhorse

I strongly agree with the recommendation to add manual renaming for all the reasons that dunkyduck,TheKillingGoko and other posters have stated. It is very inefficient to have to go back into the programs file manager to rename the downloaded files manually or having search through a lot of newly created directories after they have been downloaded. I my opinion this is the single most annoying feature of JDownloader. A person saves a lot of time downloading, but spends twice the time finding and manging the files on her/his computer.

This is a basic, and I would add, an essential feature of all other downloader's. I would be willing to give up the autoextract and folder creation to have this feature.

I do not see why you can't just use the File.renameTo() . I Windows you just have to make sure that the files are unlocked and not is use by you close out something like this:

Code:
//Reading:

FileInputStream in = null; 
 Properties properties = new Properties(); 
 try 
 { 
   in = new FileInputStream("filename.properties"); 
   properties.load(in);  
 } 
 finally 
 { 
   if (in != null) in.close(); 
 } 

//Writing

FileOutputStream out = null; 
 Properties properties = new Properties(); 
 try 
 { 
   out = new FileOutputStream("filename.properties"); 
   properties.store(out);  
 } 
 finally 
 { 
   if (out != null) out.close(); 
 }
Credit: Mr N linkblog
Old 05.09.2011, 11:49
Fwd079

Brilliant post, CrazyHorse.
I know this is not that difficult to do, all we need is to detect if there is a single file in download package and then we can give a "double-click" renaming functionality for that file.

e.g I downloaded an mp3 podcast by John'00'Fleming and when it showed on my ready-to-download/Linkgrabber page, I should be able to simply double-click on the showing mp3 and rename the original file to e.g. J00F-75.mp3 or something. Currently it doesn't do it.
I wish I had the time to write code for JD community, as its not that difficult, but I am stuck with some big projects this year so JD admin type guys, please do it for us, we love your product. :-)

Regards.
Old 05.09.2011, 11:53
JD Manager

rename will come with next major update
Old 21.01.2012, 04:43
JD Fan

Quote:
rename will come with next major update
Hi Jiaz. Is rename included in last version or in svn version?

Thanks!
Old 21.01.2012, 12:36
JD Manager

in svn yes
Old 15.02.2012, 14:40
Clemens

Sounds great, where can I find this svn Version, because I really need that feature as well !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMeR Manix
I'll very appreciate this feature, but it looks for me useable only for not-compressed files.
But this is only my point of view...
Yes, that's right. A totally useful update of all of that renaming stuff would be the secondary feature to have an option which automatically extract, if it's an archive file, all included files and rename them to the wished new name (files with the same file format have then to be renamed with a number sufix, of course)...
..but that's quite specific and something for Rar-Extractor-Plugin.