JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 19.07.2010, 04:38
rtshaw@comcast.net

Default Accessibility (handicaps, differently able)

Wow! I tried using JDownloader in the past but It didn't seem 2 work 4 me. I tried it again yesterday and fell in love with it.
I do miss being able 2 define catagory folders like music, video, etc then just let the dloads go 2 those folders (ala Fgets) (the less movement , TYPING OR CLICKING opps sorry 3 caps,the better 4 me & oThers with similar disabilities) but what switched me was the addons and suppot 4 premium sites especially RS happy hours and the way they are setup 2 remember users names & passwords
the only real problem is i'm left handed (right had is unuseable) so i cant use CTRL=Shift+Click 2 get hep or info.. very aggrivating! excuse the error i'm prety ill & incapacitated.
thank u and keep up the good work
ps tried 2 donate but didnt know the excange from use to euro. witll try again soon as i can catch my breath & figngers dont hurt as bad
Old 19.07.2010, 08:33
JD English Support (inactive)

Most of the modern OS have a setting to make the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt/command keys toggles instead of having to hold them. It is more keystrokes, but it makes things possible that would not be possible otherwise. Usually, there is a way to even do mouse tasks with the keyboard.

By the way, 1 euro = 1.30 USD. 1 USD= .774 euro. But if your are donating, don't worry about donating too little, anything helps.
_________

When I used to teach college, some of the students used mouth sticks or other devices, so I know, in concept, what you are going through.

I have been trying to convince the team that we should improve the help system. If you had to design something simple and easy to use, how would you use it?

drbits
Old 18.08.2010, 23:19
rtshaw@comcast.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
Most of the modern OS have a setting to make the Shift, Ctrl, and Alt/command keys toggles instead of having to hold them. It is more keystrokes, but it makes things possible that would not be possible otherwise. Usually, there is a way to even do mouse tasks with the keyboard.

By the way, 1 euro = 1.30 USD. 1 USD= .774 euro. But if your are donating, don't worry about donating too little, anything helps.
_________

When I used to teach college, some of the students used mouth sticks or other devices, so I know, in concept, what you are going through.

I have been trying to convince the team that we should improve the help system. If you had to design something simple and easy to use, how would you use it?

drbits
being a design engineer (nasa, gmtech, etc)i'm partial 2 BCD so i designed BCD gloves unfotunately due 2 old age i forgot binary coded decimal haha so the gloves were no help after that.
I know i don' have the answer many disabled people have asked just that of me. unlike myself most will never post but the do ask me. only reason i even mentioned catagories was its been brought up by other heavily disabled person who can only use their computer when able 2 move & or see (this is kinda hard 2 explain) but ok let me try this example
i select something 2download but don't have the energy or use of limbs or eyesight 2 move that download. so maybe days later i'm able 2 move i noew look in the dnload dir andcant even recall whatthe program is or does it would help if it was in a music dir or c++ dir etc. not that important but helps but what is more importasnt is having a log of dnloaded files with where they came from etc.
i've dnloaded multi part files only 2 be missing a part and not know where i downloded it from or even its unrared or unzipped names so now that file is still partial. if there i a log such as that i cant find it. this is probably very trivial 2 most since most people can move & see 24/7.
don't pay any attention there probably only few of us (600,000 or so) with these types problems i guess. i still enjoy & love JD would like 2 be a contributing programmer if i ever get thru thids

thank u 4 your time
Old 19.08.2010, 00:00

Don't forget about the History and Bookmark commands in your browser. You can set your History to several months if necessary. Bookmark each page you download from. It is easier if you leave the Ctrl key locked On when browsing.

Some examples in Firefox:
Ctrl+B = Edit/view/organize bookmarks
Ctrl+D = bookmark current page
Ctrl+H = History
Ctrl+click on link = open link in new tab
Ctrl+Home = Top of page
Ctrl+End = Bottom of page

In the next major release of JD, you will be able to change almost all of the keyboard shortcuts. If you have suggestions to make things easier, please let us know in this thread.

Last edited by drbits; 19.08.2010 at 00:24.
Old 19.08.2010, 00:12
rtshaw@comcast.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbits View Post
Don't forget about the History and Bookmark commands in your browser. You can set your History to several months if necessary. Bookmark each page you download from. It is easier if you leave the Ctrl key locked On when browsing.

Some examples in Firefox:
Ctrl+B = Edit/view/organize bookmarks
Ctrl+D = bookmark current page
Ctrl+H = History
Ctrl+click on link = open link in new tab
Ctrl+Home = Top of page
Ctrl+End = Bottom of page
i didnt know that, thank u i gotta try these things wow. i just dropped back by 2 try donating again. glad i did
thank u .im still trying 2 figure out the help stuff like container? i assume its directory (but i'm pretty messed up physically so it take me a long time 2 do anything now)
Old 19.08.2010, 03:17

I forgot to mention above: I assume you know how to setup Ctrl-lock and similar accessibility tools in the OS.

There is a Self Help Index in the General Discussion forum. You can find the Glossary from there. A container is a file containing a list of links and related information, usually encrypted.

Here is a link to proposed keyboard shortcuts for future versions of JD. When you are up to it, please take a look and make suggestions.

Most of the thread is discussion and justification of user interface design for JDownloader. It is probably too much to read through.

We have been having a debate about the menu and context menu structures in the developer part of the Forum. One of my physical issues is that my hand often cannot control the mouse precisely. Among other things, I am insisting that JDownloader should have simple menus with sub-menus, but not sub-sub-menus. I am also asking for way to control JD without a mouse (all commands are in the menus, keys for navigation, and so on).

Let me know if you have any ideas.