JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 10.05.2011, 11:46
Robin Hood

Default Save Links

First of all, I'd like to say I LOVE JDownloader, started using it recently and it has made my life much easier.

Second of all, I use my computer for a lot of things, and also regularly have a HUGE number of links in my JDownloader link grabber.

When something happens and JDownloader starts chewing up 100% of my CPU until I have to force quit it, it's often a real bummer to have to get all those links again. It seems (to me, who has absolutely no understanding of code) that it might be a fairly simple task to add an option (or just default setting) to save the links in the linkgrabber just like JDownloader saves the links in the "Download" tab.

Thanks a lot! You guys have a really cool project here!
Old 10.05.2011, 11:57
remi

I can almost set my watch to the periodicity of the popping up of this requirement.

One of the threads discussing this requirement is "Retrieve lost recent linkgrabber listing".

Re-reading the thread, I don't expect a solution to this problem before the year 2013.
Old 10.05.2011, 12:12
Robin Hood

God, that thread's an absolute mess. At one point in the beginning they're talking about adding it soon, then seems to move into what the tab of JDownloader should be used for (I don't understand why anyone should be deciding what people should be using JDownloader tabs for).

I don't understand anything they said about the actual programming, but to me at least it does seem like a fairly odd feature to omit (and at least in that thread it looks like a user said it was intentionally omitted).

Copying the links into a text file would really just add another program and step into everything (and I already have too many things going on all at once).

Anyone have a idiot-proof explanation as to:
1) Why this functionality wouldn't be simple to add [back]?
2) Why adding this feature could do any harm?

Seriously though, been loving JDownloader before. I'm coming over from Speed Download and it's ridiculous that an opensource project would be so superior (only their UI is better).

Great tool!
Old 10.05.2011, 12:29
remi

Cool

Since this is the way the developers want(ed) it to be, I call it a deliberate design error. It started with the introduction of the Linkgrabber tab in jD 0.5. Before that version it was clear to all customers that the dialogue's contents weren't saved and that the links had to be moved to the Download queue.

Since it was/is a deliberate design error it is very difficult to convince the devs to change the design and it certainly isn't a high priority.

Don't worry - this is the worst imperfection of jD. Most open source software is way better than similar proprietary, commercial software. Almost all software (except for Windoze) I'm running is open source.

Last edited by remi; 11.05.2011 at 10:43. Reason: typo
Old 10.05.2011, 15:11
Community Manager

The feature to save links in the Linkgrabber is already planned...

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 14.05.2011, 05:59
blind51de

I logged on just to ask this very question.
That nobody made it save linkgrabber links all along is unbelievable.

A windows update auto-restart wiped about 200 links from my linkgrabber the other day. That does not make me happy and I might switch to Mipony if its more user-friendly. It's bad enough that JD is a java hog.
Old 14.05.2011, 08:43
JD Manager

Next Major JD update will include saving + use a lot less ressources (cpu,ram) you will notice it for sure
Old 14.05.2011, 10:28
remi

That's good news. Thanks for considering a solution for this urgent issue.