JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Old 20.03.2015, 19:26
Junior Loader

Default Low contrast color problem

Hi, I have a problem distinguishing between some colors -- 7-12% of people have some type of color vision deficiency. The UI is using colors that are very similar for people like myself. For example, on the Downloads page, a package name has a color background. That background color is too similar to the color used to highlight selected item, so it is very difficult to see what is selected. Is there any way to change the color scheme so it works for people with color vision problems? Is there any configuration that would allow that change? I would much rather see ugly colors that I can distinguish instead of pleasant colors that blend together.

BTW, I don't know if this is new or not, but I tried downloading a video file and JDownloader2 informed me that I need ffmpeg and offered to download and install it. I normally wouldn't trust this, but I clicked okay and the whole process was fast and seamless. It was really smooth. Great work!!!!
Old 20.03.2015, 22:16
Community Manager

Hi
Gmajor
1. You can customize a lot of GUI stuff via Settings --> Advanced settings
2. Ffmpeg is needed e.g. to merge DASH streams (google that if you don't know what it is) of youtube and also to manage HLS downloads.
Its not harmful, free and works in the background - it is only used by a hand full of our plugins.

GreeZ psp
JDownloader 2 Setup Download
-----=>Support Chat<=-----
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
That's true James
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Die Leute verstehen einfach nicht dass nur weil man mit einer Waffe auch auf Menschen schießen kann dass ein Schützenver​ein kein Ort für Amoklaufide​en ist
Old 21.03.2015, 01:18
Junior Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
1. You can customize a lot of GUI stuff via Settings --> Advanced settings
Thank you for this!!! I found the place in Advanced settings and changed the color of highlight to bright yellow. The designers of JDownloader UI would hate it -- but I can see it very easily. :-) BTW, before I was looking for such color setting under "User Interface" settings panel -- I didn't even think about looking in Advnaced settings.

Quote:
2. Ffmpeg is needed e.g. to merge DASH streams (google that if you don't know what it is) of youtube and also to manage HLS downloads.
Its not harmful, free and works in the background - it is only used by a hand full of our plugins.
Yes, thank you, understood. I meant what I wrote as a compliment. JDownloader recognized it needed ffmpeg, asked me first if I want to download and install it, and the whole process was extremely smooth. I was impressed how easy it was.
Old 21.03.2015, 15:38
Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback
Could you post a screenshot of your current JD and post the setting you've changed?
Of course it is our goal that JD is also easily usable to "disabled" people

GreeZ psp
Spoiler:

Quote:
That's true James
Quote:
Die Leute verstehen einfach nicht dass nur weil man mit einer Waffe auch auf Menschen schießen kann dass ein Schützenver​ein kein Ort für Amoklaufide​en ist
Old 22.03.2015, 01:57
Junior Loader

Okay, the image below shows a package highlighted in bright yellow in my modified JDownloader:

That bright yellow highlight is something I picked because the default color that was used before was too similar to other colors used on the page and I was not able to determine what was selected. With bright yellow it is immediately obvious what is selected. Of course, the bright yellow doesn't make the UI look nice, but I picked usability over looks. I will find a different color that will work and will also look good in the future. :-)

The setting I changed in Advanced settings was "LAFSettings: Color For Table Selected Rows Background". The default value was ffCAE8FA. I changed that to bright yellow. The screenshot below shows that:

Another detail I want to mention: you don't have to know the RGB values to enter for the color. When you click on the current value, JDownloader will show a color-picker where you simply pick the color you want. This is a small detail, but I really appreciated how easy it was, I appreciated that I didn't need to search for the aRGB values I wanted -- I simply picked the color from color swatches. Yes, many programs do that, it is nothing new. But colors or graphics are not the primary purpose of JDownloader, so seeing this was really pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Many people with color deficiency (or full color blindness) learn how to work around it, but sometimes it is not easy or even possible. When UI designers are selecting colors to use, it is a good idea to switch to gray-scale mode once you selected your colors and see how those colors look as shades of grey. If the colors are distinguishable even as grey (there is enough contrast to distinguish the different grey levels each color is shown in) it is very likely that the colors you picked will be distinguishable by color impaired users. Of course, it is not always the case, but it is often enough.

Even better way to see if your user interface will be usable by everyone is to switch your monitor to monochrome or black & white (no grayscale). If your interface works in black and white, everyone will be able to use it, including people with color deficiencies.

That is also why shapes are often used. Take, for example, a very colorful and famous game "Bejeweled". I am sure you recognize the screenshot below:

Color is very important in this game. But the developers didn't just use squares with different colors. In addition to colors, they used shapes. So even if you can't distinguish between some of the colors, you will still be able to play the game because there are different shapes used in addition to color. You can actually play that game in black & white.

But there are many many other techniques that can be used.

Thanks again to all JDownloader people for the great effort.
Old 22.03.2015, 03:06
Community Manager

Hm at the moment we got no extra settings for people like you - I remember we had some in the old JD so maybe it'd make sense to add them to JD2 too so you don't have to go into the advanced settings and spend time finding that - anyways, thanks for the detailed feedback!

GreeZ psp
Spoiler:

Quote:
That's true James
Quote:
Old 22.03.2015, 13:45
Junior Loader

Quote:
Hm at the moment we got no extra settings for people like you - I remember we had some in the old JD so maybe it'd make sense to add them to JD2 too so you don't have to go into the advanced settings and spend time finding that - anyways, thanks for the detailed feedback!
Oh, you would be really progressive if you had such setting. I know that some big-name gaming companies ("Call of Duty" and similar games) started adding such settings. They call it "Color Assist", "Color Blind Mode" etc. They figured that since around 10% of potential customers have color vision problem, it is big enough number not to ignore.

I'll update this thread as I find more ways to customize for color vision problems. One other customization I just did has to do with the vertical scrollbar. The slider part of the scrollbar has default color that is too close to the actual scrollbar color and it was very difficult to find the slider. I made the slider little bit darker and now it is immediately visible. Screenshots below show what I did:

Image-A shows the default color value (ffD7E7F0) of the slider in normal state. The slider color blends with the actual scrollbar color and is difficult to see.

Image-B shows the slider in mouseover color, which is much darker and easy to see.

Image-C is the new color for the slider in normal state. I needed a color value somewhere between image-A and image-B. What I came up with works (at least for me).

The slider color can be adjusted in Advanced Settings under "LAFSettings: Color For Scrollbars Normal State"

I also discovered that the color picker that JDownloader displays has "HSL Color Picker" option, which makes this very easy because one of the HSL values is "Lightness". I only needed to change the "Lightness" value by 10 points (to make the color darker).
Old 22.03.2015, 14:37
Community Manager

Ticket:
Spoiler:

Quote:
That's true James
Quote: