JDownloader Community - Appwork GmbH

Notices

Old 03.10.2009, 21:19
JD Legend

Default RS: "Too many users" error

I was downloading several multi-part files on Rapidshare.

Checking progress I notice that I have 5 out of 7 parts of the first file, and jD is now downloading part 3 of the third file, having skipped all the ones in between.

Checking the log I see that the other files had all been aborted:
Code:
4/10/09 1:46:59 AM - INFO [java_downloader] -> Start working on x1.part7.rar
4/10/09 1:47:06 AM - INFO [java_downloader] -> Too many users are currently downloading this file
4/10/09 1:47:06 AM - WARNING [java_downloader] -> 
Error occurred- latest:ERROR_TEMPORARILY_UNAVAILABLE
Now while the error says "Too many users are currently downloading this file", actually RS is just busy, full stop. every file I try is blocked with the same message.

However, this only lasts a few minutes and then RS will give me a slot.

So JD basically starts a random download, whichever one it happened to try when RS came back.

I really want JD to just try the files in the first package and finish that before trying any others.

Setting priorities has no effect on this behaviour.

If I'm monitoring it I can just disable all the other packages. But then obviously I have to be there to enable them again.

This matters to me because I can't do anything with three parts of one file, two parts of a second and two of a third. But if they were all the same package it would be complete and I could be processing it.

Last edited by Jiaz; 07.10.2009 at 14:26.
Old 03.10.2009, 23:29
Community Manager

If the status doesn't change and jd tries to download 1 file for hours it makes no sense...

GreeZ pspzockerscene

Erste Schritte & Tutorials || JDownloader 2 Setup Download
Spoiler:

A users' JD crashes and the first thing to ask is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiaz View Post
Do you have Nero installed?
Old 04.10.2009, 03:42
JD Manager

im sure we will not add such a feature at all (or in near future ) because

1.) jd cannot know what files do belong together (at least not for sure)
2.) why would someone want NOT to download when he can only to wait for some files that are still *server busy*
3.) JD cannot know in advance how long the file will be busy , thus it would have to wait for it and not downloading any other file (see 2)

so i think if you really want to have one package finished first then
1.) disable the other ones
2.) add interchangable links (multiple hosters)
3.) buy premium
4.) use non rs links
Old 04.10.2009, 07:29
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspzockerscene View Post
If the status doesn't change and jd tries to download 1 file for hours it makes no sense...

GreeZ pspzockerscene
For two minutes it does make sense.
That is the case I'm talking about.
If it was strill "UNAVAILABLE" then it could try other packages.

Or better, once it gets a positive response, go back and check if the highest priority download is now available, not start on one 20 places down the list.
Old 04.10.2009, 07:39
JD Legend

Quote:
1.) jd cannot know what files do belong together (at least not for sure)
That's what packages are for.

Quote:
2.) why would someone want NOT to download when he can only to wait for some files that are still *server busy*
Because all the RS links give the same error.

Once one link becomes available again, then they ALL are in this situation. But JD has already given up on the top links. If it could retry the top link it would be able to download it.

I know this because when I'm monitoring it I can disable other links, reset the "aborted" ones and JD will then continue with the top package.

I would like JD to do that for itself.

Quote:
3.) JD cannot know in advance how long the file will be busy , thus it would have to wait for it and not downloading any other file (see 2)
As above, it could give up after a couple of minutes and try other packages.

Quote:
so i think if you really want to have one package finished first then
1.) disable the other ones
2.) add interchangable links (multiple hosters)
3.) buy premium
4.) use non rs links
Thanks, but I worked that out for myself.
If it were possible to find mirrors, I do.
Old 04.10.2009, 12:31
remi

Cool

I agree with ... Gweilo.

This issue is related to the old automatic retry (of failed downloads) feature.
Old 04.10.2009, 19:12
JD Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
That's what packages are for.
Edit by Jiaz: ppl also use packages for other things. image a complete season, then it will again be useless because all files are in one package but it might happen that they are in different states

Once one link becomes available again, then they ALL are in this situation. But JD has already given up on the top links. If it could retry the top link it would be able to download it.
Edit by Jiaz: im sorry, that is wrong, every file can be hosted on different servers and can have different load. i saw often that only part 7 of 14 is working, then 9 , then 2....its just wrong that all files are having the same waittime or download usage

I know this because when I'm monitoring it I can disable other links, reset the "aborted" ones and JD will then continue with the top package.
Edit by Jiaz: thats luck
I would like JD to do that for itself.

As above, it could give up after a couple of minutes and try other packages.

Thanks, but I worked that out for myself.
If it were possible to find mirrors, I do.
see comments
Old 04.10.2009, 21:07
JD Legend

Quote:
Edit by Jiaz: im sorry, that is wrong, every file can be hosted on different servers and can have different load. i saw often that only part 7 of 14 is working, then 9 , then 2....its just wrong that all files are having the same waittime or download usage
The situation I am talking about is when I have dozens of RS links enabled; and EVERY SINGLE ONE aborts for the same reason. Then 2 minutes later they are ALL active again. But JD starts some random one way down the list instead if the one at the top, which is equally as available now.

You may just never see this where you are. I think you're in Germany; those of us in Asia are much more likely to to be frozen out of all RS downloads when they're busy in Europe or the US.

And even when it starts up again, downloads are likely to be very slow. So it can delay the completion of the top package by hours while it slowly gets parts from lower priority packages before finally going back to the top package.

I can live with it, but it is annoying as I have either to wait much longer or manually enable and disable links to guide it.
Old 06.10.2009, 18:48
james3

it seems to me that there should be an independent Priority set on packages that is completely separate from the file priority and take president over file priority, then once inside that package the priority on a file would take over.

sound simple but...

say you have 20 packages and each has multiple files say 10 in each and all are from the same host, now if JD has received an error on package 1 file 6 and then proceeds down through the packages still receiving the same error and in package 15 file 3 it starts to connect and download, should JD...

A: immediately stop and go to P1 F6
B: complete the file in P15 F3 and then resume in P1 F6
C: complete the file in P15 F3 and proceed to P15 F4

for this error message I'm assuming B and that would be fine if all files had indeed become available but very annoying if they haven't and JD was forced by package priority to recheck the previous packages/files only to end up downloading P15 F4 and then the scenario starts again for P15 F5 and so on.

of course in an ideal world JD could be programed to behave differently on receiving different error codes from the host in question.
Old 06.10.2009, 19:51
JD Manager

A: would be not a good idea, because you have to wait or reconnect in order to download the file, because you stopped a running download in order to try the other file ;9

B: not doable with the current implementation because jd would have to manage those error messages to know that all the files are having the same error

C: that the current implementation
Old 06.10.2009, 20:32
james3

the only other way I can think of would be to disable/pause P2 through P20 and once P1 F10 had completed JD could enable/unpause P2 and so on... but of course this would lead back to JD having to manage error messages once again
Old 06.10.2009, 21:28
JD Legend

Quote:
A: would be not a good idea, because you have to wait or reconnect in order to download the file, because you stopped a running download in order to try the other file ;9
This happens BEFORE there is a running download.
When I'm monitoring this I see JD trying one after another, only a few seconds between trying the next download. (See my error log in the first post, it took 7 seconds.) It does not go through the 1-2 minute wait that RS has before starting a free download. I would not want to abort a running download.

Quote:
B: not doable with the current implementation because jd would have to manage those error messages to know that all the files are having the same error
JD already does manage the error messages. It marks each failed download with the error. So the data is available. JD can use this to notice that a host has failed 100% of downloads with "Temporarily unavailable" since XXXX, and thus is likely a global outage/block (same result). And so when a file is "Available" maybe the block is over; so it can (quickly) check availability of previously "unavailable" files before starting the next download.

Quote:
C: that the current implementation
With respect, that's the option I like the least.

Last edited by Gweilo; 06.10.2009 at 21:31.
Old 07.10.2009, 11:36
remi

Cool

If jD wants to become a real download "manager", I think this sort of intelligence is needed. Like Gweilo says, the data about the failing links is available in those links. jD should "think" a little and decide that it isn't worthwhile to check all the links from the same host or even other hosts. It should simply check or retry the first link at regular intervals.

This probably means that jD should have a categorisation of types of errors it receives from the different hosts or equipment between the PC and the Internet. Two categories I see immediately are: "no connection to the internet", "no connection to the host". You, jD networking experts must have other categories in mind as well.

Today I had a a problem with my connection. Azureus continued normally, although almost all tracker connections were lost (blue icons). My browser, jD and FDM lost their connections entirely. I reset my router and everything came back again. Such a general connection problem should be detectable by jD.
Old 07.10.2009, 11:53
JD Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by remi View Post
I jD should "think" a little and decide that it isn't worthwhile to check all the links from the same host or even other hosts. It should simply check or retry the first link at regular intervals.
That would not be a good idea; sometimes it is only one link, or one server that is out because of some server problem. If it's just checking, it's actually better for it to try different links. Only when it finally strikes an "available" one it might (quickly) recheck the top link from the same host before committing to a download.

But it certainly should be able to recognise when there is no conectivity at all and pop up an error while waiting for the connection to be restored. (It could just ping some standard sites.) I mentioned this some time ago, when I was offline for whatever reason JD would keep trying links and marking them "unavailable" and I had to manually reset them to get JD to try again.
Old 07.10.2009, 14:26
JD Manager

http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/505
Old 07.10.2009, 15:15
remi

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
That would not be a good idea; sometimes it is only one link, or one server that is out because of some server problem.
That was not what I meant. I meant jD should gather the information it gets from the failed links and reason about the causes of these failures. If there is a general connection problem it should not continue trying new links, but it should at regular intervals check the first link that is the result of the general problem. I hope this is a better explanation.

@Jiaz : thanks for adding the feature/bug to the tracker.
Old 07.10.2009, 17:35
JD Legend

Quote:
That was not what I meant. I meant jD should gather the information it gets from the failed links and reason about the causes of these failures. If there is a general connection problem it should not continue trying new links, but it should at regular intervals check the first link that is the result of the general problem. I hope this is a better explanation.
I understand, but it's still safer to check different links (assuming you have several on the same host) just in case the problem is specific to a particular link or server. Why not?
Old 08.10.2009, 13:21
remi

Cool

I'm still not clear enough

There are categories of problems where you don't need to check more than one link. It doesn't make sense to test several links when jD detects that there's no Internet connection for whatever reason.

If jD has a problem with only one server, chances are high the next link will work. There will be no cascade effect for the other links in the download queue.

If there's a problem with a host, jD should only test one link of that host. It doesn't need to test the other links for the same host. The "Too many users" problem is a typical example for this type of problems as it is host related.

That's what I wanted to express with the problem categorisation. jD diagnoses the problem and then some implemented rules of thumb in its "problem reasoning engine" will lead to a more intelligent download management.
It'll retry links on a regular basis, depending on the problem type. The customer does no longer need to intervene, resetting or resuming links as is currently the case.
Old 08.10.2009, 15:47
JD Legend

Quote:
I'm still not clear enough
There are categories of problems where you don't need to check more than one link. It doesn't make sense to test several links when jD detects that there's no Internet connection for whatever reason.
Obviously.
In that case it should just ping some standard, reliable, sites.

Quote:
If there's a problem with a host, jD should only test one link of that host. It doesn't need to test the other links for the same host. The "Too many users" problem is a typical example for this type of problems as it is host related.
Your point is clear, but I still disagree.

Why not test a different link each time, if they are all in the queue? It doesn't take any longer.

You shouldnt trust the host's error messages too much. (For instance, MegaUpload has been giving a "temporarily unavailable" message to users in selected countries for almost a year.) It really might be just one bad link, or one server, not all.

Quote:
retry links on a regular basis, depending on the problem type. The customer does no longer need to intervene, resetting or resuming links as is currently the case.
Agreed, just a small difference in methodology.
Old 08.10.2009, 18:12
JD Manager

http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/676
these changes need a rewrite of the current downloadcontroller and that takes time
Old 08.10.2009, 20:05
JD Legend

Quote:
http://svn.jdownloader.org/issues/show/676
these changes need a rewrite of the current downloadcontroller and that takes time
No problem, as long as the issue is recognised.
Old 08.10.2009, 22:08
JD Manager

its not an issue, its a feature because the actual download is not influenced by this
Old 09.10.2009, 12:04
remi

Cool

I hope jD FarfarAway will come before your exams.
Old 09.10.2009, 21:51
JD Legend

Quote:
its not an issue, its a feature because the actual download is not influenced by this
It's a feature if you like it. It's an issue if you don't.

And here's an example that just happened:
I have 18 links queued up.
RS decides to blow me off and starts erroring out with the "too many users" message.

JD tries one after another, finally on the 16th link, RS stops blocking me (which is what is really happening; I don't believe for a moment ALL! those 15 files were being "downloaded by too many users").

Now JD starts downloading the 16th link. As above, I'd really rather it went back and tried the first one. But I can live with that.

But after that it starts on link 17! That really annoyed me. So I manually "reset" the first 15 links so, finally, JD will go back to the start as I want.

The "Too many users" error should not mark a link as unavailable for more than a couple of minutes.

And PS: what happened to the grid lines? They seem to have disappeared in the latest update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toomany.jpg (18.7 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Gweilo; 09.10.2009 at 21:58.
Old 10.10.2009, 18:01
Gemmor

I agree with Gweilo. It's very annoying "feature missing". I'm also experiencing this problem with "too many users" and "all free slots in use" errors that has nothing to do with real many users issue. It's just the methods of Rapidshare to decrease amount of free downloaders. So, please, disable JD to jump to the next file with these errors. And, please, reduce the waiting time for these errors to 1-2 min.

I remember Jiaz fixed same kind of issue in Depositfiles plugin on error "all slots for your country are busy". Now it works just fine. But it is still waiting too much
Old 17.10.2009, 21:49
Gemmor

Now it works fine with RS. Thanks, Jiaz!